Friday, July 18, 2008

Growing Pains

I think the "pains" of my girls growing up are starting to get to me. I have been looking forward to the day that they all have some independence so I am not constantly having to track their every move around the house. I really, really want Bransyn to be fully potty trained and wearing panties like her sisters. I am extremely tired of diapers and pull-ups!! I love that Payton can buckle herself in her car seat and Kendal buckles Bransyn and then UNbuckles both of them. Rarely do I have to climb back and do all that, now I get in my seat and wait for everyone to be buckled before I drive off. That is so great! I love that Kendal can now bathe herself and has even bathed Payton a few times. I love that they can all feed themselves and eat "real" food. Now if only they wouldn't be so picky! I DO NOT want to go back to when they needed me for absolutely EVERYTHING. I want them to grow up, but a simple question from Jeff has put me in a little bit of a quandry when it comes to that area of life. His question....."Are you about ready to get rid of this double stroller?" That question, even now, makes me want to cry. I know we no longer need it. It really does not get used anymore, it is just sitting in the way in our entry way, but we got it when Kendal was born and has been well used and "loved". I teared up a little last night when I had to throw out the lunch box that Kendal got when she was two and first starting coming to CDC with me and used through first grade. It got me to thinking about the pack 'n play we no longer need and the infant car seat that is sitting in our entry way closet and other things that we really just need to get rid of and for some reason it makes me sad. I am not usually a real sentimental person when it comes to material items, I have no problem cleaning out drawers and closets of clothes that have been outgrown, so I have to wonder why I am having a hard time with these other itmes. I KNOW that we don't want to have any more babies, I couldn't even if we did want to. I see the newborn, itty-bitty babies and I don't feel that "urge" that I once would about a baby, so why do I feel like I need to hang on to these baby items that serve no purpose to us any longer that just take up space?! I enjoy seeing my girls grow up and discover new things that are just so amazing to them that the rest of us take for granted. I try to picture what they will look like the older they get and what they will do or be. I think about them getting married and having kids of their own and hope and pray that they find that "perfect" guy for them and that Jeff and I are still alive to see it. Three teenage daughters could potentially kill us! :) Knowing all this, I still don't get why Jeff's simple question has put me in such a crazy state of mind!!

Until next time...

2 comments:

3BoyMom said...

You're a good mommy. Thanks for updating!

The Horton Family said...

It's tough. When the last one passes that stage where you can't justify the need for some of your "baby" items. I hear ya sister. I'm sorry. But you are a SUPER mom and they are proof of that. And tossing the old just opens up the door for new and more fun things!