Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Back in the land of the living

A little over one year ago, I went to the doctor because I. WAS. SICK!!! I had a nice case of strep going on. As an added bonus, he informs me that I have a goiter on my thyroid. Well, fabulous!! Thyroid "issues" run on my mom's side of the family and wouldn't you know it...that is the one thing I inherited from her. I called her on the way home to thank her for that! :)

While I was sitting on the table and the good doctor was squeezing around on my neck, he asked me several questions about how I had been feeling prior to getting strep. He wanted to know if I had been feeling very fatigued and low energy. Well, now that you mention it... I hadn't been able to pull my cleaning all-nighters while the rest of the family slept, watch a movie or TV show without falling asleep and really didn't have the energy to do even simple things around the house. He also wanted to know if I had been having trouble losing weight. To this I just laughed around my very sore throat and informed him that I hadn't really been trying, but it sure seemed to be packing on. He told me that with medication I should see my energy level go up as well as some pounds fade away. Energy...not so much, weight loss...yeppers! 30ish pounds seemed to fall off pretty quick.

I went back after a few months to have the lovely needle stuck in my arm to test my blood and let him know that I didn't feel much of a change in terms of fatigue and energy. Blood work came back and it still wasn't where it should be so he lowered the dosage of my original prescription ($4 a month) and added another one at a whopping $50 a month. That only lasted a couple of months before I told him that I couldn't do a $50 a month prescription, especially when I still didn't feel "right". He raised my original scrip higher than it was to begin with and added Vitamin D. That went on for another several months with still not much of a change. I hated it!! Most nights I couldn't get wait for the girls to go to bed so I could go to bed. One night, Jeff was going to be home late so I told the girls at 8:00 that it was time for bed. I was exhausted and I just wanted to crawl into bed myself. Kendal, however says, "But it's only 8, we don't have to go to bed until 8:30". I replied with, "I hate that you can tell time, why do have to be 9???" I was laughing as I said it, though, because she got me! No pulling one over on that girl!!

Let me tell you, it was a horrible existence! And yes, I am aware that I could have been dealing with something much worse than a whacked out thyroid. However, I would wake up in the morning and before I was even out of bed, I couldn't wait until it was time to go back to bed. I felt like everything I did was done in slow motion. Not only was I annoyed with my ailment, so was Jeff.

Well, I finally seem to be back to normal...whatever that is! I went last week and had blood drawn again, told him yet again that I am still just blah and that I was sick of it. Blood work came back with my thyroid still low, my iron very, very low according to Nurse Lisa which could also be contributing with my horrible fatigue. Thyroid meds upped some more, continue taking Vitamin D, added iron supplements twice a day and the best part...he prescribed a diet pill. SWEET!!! Apparently that will help with my energy level and the added bonus of maybe losing more weight is icing on the cake for me!

I started on this new regimen of pills yesterday morning and OH. MY. GOODNESS!! what a difference!! It was instantaneous! I have gotten more done around here in the last two days than I have in months. I've been like the Tazmanian Devil, but in a non-destructive way. I got the girls closets and drawers cleaned out, ceiling fans cleaned, dusted, vacuumed, mopped, cleaned bathrooms, mounds of laundry done AND put away. There is still plenty more that I want to accomplish in the next couple of days, like cleaning the nasty baseboards, purging some items that have been sitting around and selling on Craig's List or donating. My brain is working overtime on all that I want to do.

After over a year (probably closer to two) of the total blah's, it is so great to be feeling back to normal, or my definition of it anyway! Jeff is happy too! :)

Until next time...


Reckless said...

that's some nice news! when are you coming over to do my ceiling fans?

Momma Wolg said...

Soooo glad you are feeling so good. Pass some of that energy my way...I need it!
Love ya.

The Horton Family said...

Whoo Hoooo Sass! Great News!